Friday, August 6, 2010

Finished etches.

Here are all the etches I've done so far. The first one is New York City. I did this over 5 years ago and it still has the sand inside of it, so I've been keeping it level for a very long time. Now I drill holes into the back of the etches and sift out all the sand before I even begin the drawings. The New York sketch looks different than the others because it was done from memory, whereas the others are all done off of a source image. Growing up in the suburbs, this sketch is a summation of all the things you see while going in and out of the city, via car and train. I started the etch on Yankee Stadium and then worked my way out from there, which is why the quality of the rendering is probably the worst of all my sketching. I hadn't etch-a-sketched anything since I was a kid and I would draw my local A&P supermarket. I hung onto this NY etch for years and would show it to friends, roomate's friends and party guests at my happening downtown upstate apartment. People were always surprised. I didn't do another after this for a very long time. Took about 4-5 hours over about three days to complete.


New York


(click to enlarge)


I did this Chicago etch for a friend who lives out there who didn't believe I did the NYC sketch, so this became a half a year late birthday present. 14-20hrs to finish over a long period of time.


Chicago


(click to enlarge)


And finally, Boston. I posted my previous etches to my favorite social media website, Reddit, and got a great response, which inspired me to continue doing these. Boston is the first etch I did based on requests, and next will be Philadelphia, also by internet request. 12-16hrs.


Boston


(click to enlarge) Thanks for checking out my Etch A Sketch art! Visit again soon for something new or check out my other pages online for things that might not appear here...

For my most up to date work, please follow me on Instagram!

Art Inquires, Parties & Commissions:
BryanLeeMadden@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, that one in the middle looks very faimliar! o_O :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude how is this even possible? It's freakin' awesome though :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're done very slowly. I probably finish a little more than an inch per hour, so it takes a long time.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete